Monday 18 October 2010

Covers Bands

It's a funny thing - I like a good covers band, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see one necessarily unless a friend was playing in one, but I enjoy them if I'm already at a pub/party or function and one happens to be on. I like them when they don't play the same karaoke type hits that everyone seems to want. Fine at a party though!

People are dismissive of them - I think unfairly and I wonder what is the difference between a jazz or blues singer doing a 'standard' and a covers band? I mean it - quite often the people who are dismissive of covers bands are the same ones who revere jazz and blus arrangements of very well known tunes. I like covers bands that rework an original in a different way rather than do a carbon copy of how the original band did it. Then there are tribute bands who take the covers thing a step further and have massive followings themselves - I saw the Grateful Dead tribute band once at a festival, they were fab and did their own improvisations/jams rather than copy the Dead's versions; I may even book the Let's Zep act and have a themed evening based on it, so watch this space. And covers bands, well I'm working on a night where we have a line up of several - battle of the covers bands maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment